- Most toilets use 1.5 to 3.0 gallons per flush!
- A dishwasher uses 20 gallons per load!
- A typical bath uses 20 or more gallons of water, a shower uses 2.5
gallons of water per minute!
- Letting the water run while you are brushing your teeth uses 2
gallons of water!
- Older, non-efficient top-load washing machines can use up to 40
gallons of water per load!
Interested in how you can help?
Try the following suggestions!
Get your friends and family members to help also!
- Turn the water off when brushing your teeth, turn it on only to
- Tell your Dad not to run the water while shaving, but instead
fill the sink with about 2 inches of water
- Flush the toilet only when needed. Check with your parents
whether your toilet has a short-flush option (a quick flip of the
handle gives a shorter flush than if you hold the handle down
- Take shorter showers
- Talk to your parents about creating a
rainwater collection system and use it to water your yard and
- Help your Dad wash the family car, but wash it in the yard, so
the grass gets watered at the same time.